Sunday 13 February 2022

A Pysanka Poem Worth Sharing

Discover the magic of pysanky one poem at a time in our monthly sharing of these words arranged purposefully with meaning, sound, and rhythm.

Just as Baba’s Beeswax inspires and encourages beginners, experts, and anyone interested in Ukrainian egg decorating, these featured authors connect us to tradition and inspire us to new possibilities.

We hope you enjoy reading Creation and Love, by the late Connie Daubert. This poem came to our attention in March 1999 from a like-minded egg artist. Although centred on egg decorating, it could very easily apply to writing pysanky:

As I am working on an egg,

I do everything in my power
to make something that will be pleasing to me.
When it is finished and I sit back to look at it,
a feeling of satisfaction steals over me.
I love that egg!
It becomes one of my treasures
that I don’t want to part with.
It is my creation!
Now, I can make inanimate, unthinking objects
with great pleasure.
Then I consider and look up to my Creator.
Who creates living, breathing, reasoning persons!
(that can, in turn, make other things!)
If I can become so deeply involved
and sometimes can hardly tear myself away
from working on my creation,
how much more interested He must be in His creation!
He is still at work on us.
His aim is to finally bring into being
a caring,
persistent,
dependable,
optimistic,
appreciative,
reasonable,
fair,
and sensible creator!
How very much He must love us!


#PysankaPoems #pysanky #UkrainianEasterEgg #BabasBeeswax #JoanBrander

No comments:

Post a Comment